Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Zion Canyon Falls

March 23, 2005, Late afternoon. I worked hard in trying to capture this image. Zion has a wild quiet charm in the spring, as the trees bud out and the wet flow is heavy in and across the red earth. As it was seemingly always cloudy during this trip, again I find myself trying to get closer to the image, to the very rock and water itself. Zion Canyon is a long story of water and rock, and ever present power. The falls and presence of the stone humble me, make me feel threatened, and sweetly -- I delight in the knowledge that I am safe from it. As I compose, and shoot, I am thinking that there must be a way for me to capture the presence I feel in this canyon. I wonder.

"If man's imagination were not so weak, so easily tired, if his capacity for wonder not so limited, he would abandon forever... fantasies of fhe supernal. He would learn to perceive in water, leaves, and silence more than sufficient of the absolute and marvelous, more than enough to console him for the loss of the ancient dreams."

Edward Abbey, Desert Solitaire


Lower Kolob Morning, Copyright Shawn Kielty 2005, all rights reserved.
Copyright Shawn Kielty 2005, All rights reserved.

No comments: