Sunday, November 5, 2006

The Old and The New

 
Here's a cross check. These are the new boots sitting next to the old ones. Do you notice any slight resemblence? After casting aside several other seemingly good choices, and finally giving in to the temptation to believe that these Merrill™ Wilderness boots were in fact very much like the old ones, I still had great difficulty ordering them online because of the huge price. I looked everywhere to try to find them in a store, but could not.

They are a classic leather boot with a traditional Vibram™ sole and they lack the plastic inner liner that made up the ultimate watertight construction part of the boot. I bit hard on a whiskey soaked Bandana™ and ordered away. When they arrived I tosssed them in the oven and greased them well with SnowSeal™, put them on and hiked 6 miles.

It's been some months now. They're good. So far -- they rock. They are very similar to the old ones. I'll let you know in a few years when I get them really broken in. If all goes well we'll hike a few hundred thousand miles together. Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Jill Homer said...

100,000 miles?

You definitely crave commitment in your footwear, I can see.

I always buy bottom-of-the-rack, no-name boots. I pay $40. We hike a few hundred miles together, then it's time to send them to the place where all cheap boots go to die.

There's something to be said about old reliables, but I'm too prone to losing stuff to buy myself nice things.

shawnkielty said...

If I could hike like you Jill, everyday for ten and a half years (just about how long those boots lasted), I could travel 100,000 miles -- but HONESTLY -- I was so exaggerating. Because we all know; I can't do that, every day.