Sunday, March 22, 2015

Pacific Red Snapper Hash

The other day I had a very remote craving.  It was a craving brought up from my past, probably brought up by my recent efforts to reconnect with my graduate school friends who now live in Europe.  I have been craving the snapper hash from Bijou Café in Portland.  It's unusual to have a craving from events 20 years ago, but here they are.  In the mid 90's I went more than a few times to Bijou in Portland Oregon for the snapper hash. 

I searched the web and it looks like I would have to go to Zarela's in New York, if I want me some snapper hash. 

Or make it myself.  The garam masala and cumin combine to give this an occasionally surprising background palette.

Serves 4

3 T. Oil
Cornstarch for dredging
2 eggs scrambled
Panko Japanese style bread crumbs
1 pound of Pacific red snapper fillets, cut into 1-2 inch chunks 1100 g
3 potatoes, peeled and cut into half inch cubes 900 g
1 medium onion, chopped fine 350 g
1 small shallot, chopped  60 g
3 scallions, chopped
5 garlic cloves, crushed  
1 jalapeno (optional) 36 g
1 green bell pepper, chopped 115 g
1/4 cup Parsley, chopped
Pinch of cumin, cinnamon, ground cloves and garam masala
Salt and pepper

Saute the vegetables and spices in the oil until the onions are soft. Add the potatoes. I added a little water and covered, so the potatoes might cook a bit from the steam.  Cook on a medium fire till brown, about 10-15 minutes.  Meanwhile dredge the snapper in cornstarch, Egg and panko and cook in another pan. 6 minutes on the first side an 4 minutes or so on the other.

Flip the potatoes and as the potatoes brown on the other side, gently add the finished snapper to the top of the potatoes.   When the potatoes are cooked, server with tabasco or Sriracha Mayo or lemon.

No comments: