Thursday, January 26, 2006

The Rubber Hits the Road -- Literally

After an incredibly long hiatus (I think I last rode a bike for sport in 1976 -- that's thirty years for those of us that are counting), I got on my bike, and rode 6 miles today. That's not bad for a first time out. During that six miles one tire came apart and the shift lever on the bike broke, and the rubber handle on one side of the bars literally fell apart in my hands. You just can't leave these bikes just sitting around for years. I broke a sweat and barely got out of breath. I was thinking I might be able to do that for a while. It was a bit chilly and the cold against my legs encouraged me to work harder -- and I figure -- made me very hungry. I wonder how you could eat enough to stay warm and bike when it is 0 degrees.

I took the bike to the shop to have it fixed. When it comes back -- I think I will just go out and ride 25. After that maybe I will try to ride here from Flagstaff after a snowstorm (I am not really serious folks). That is if it ever snows.

After that I picked up some take out Basil Beef from the Thai Corner in Mesa and devoured it in minutes, so maybe I did manage to burn a few calories. I hear that ordering the food "Thai hot" helps maintain one's intestinal health. It was good -- and the rice helps too after a bit of effort. The satisfaction index for this meal was very high. Shortly after that I also ate a dagwood, which is a bit like dessert only bigger.

You know what they say about riding a bike? It's all true.

No comments: