Saturday, June 3, 2006

What I did on my Summer Vacation



Date: 3 June 2006
Miles: 21.16
June Mileage: 64.68
Weather: 112°F. Sun.
Bike: Roadie.
Treadmill miles: 2

There just isn't much to say about this. This is me taking a break at about mile 12. It's nice in the desert when you have water. If you have a lot make sure to waste it on landscaping so we can all know how important you are.

I carried about 2 liters in a CamelBak™. I can never manage to explain how much I hate these. And two regular bottles, to make sure that I wouldn't have to die. At about mile 8 I stopped at Bellagio's to get filled with ice water. I highly recommend this and it's not cheating. Although I can never embrace a CamelBak™ in the way I should, I have a few suggestions. If you are going to depend on one ( I mean -- the "as if my life depended on it" depending on it), then you should carry two bladders. Since they are crap and have a tendency to leak at the valve for no reason that I can imagine, and encourage you to bite the valve harder ( again by not working correctly) as though you are trying to break it (you will one day and the precious contents will pour out onto the ground) , you will inevetably be delighted that you have thought far enough ahead, to not be risking your life now that your camelbak™ valve has failed and all the water has leaked out. Maybe you will get some cooling benefit from being soaking wet -- if you are really lucky.

When you are planning a ride at 112 degrees it is acceptable to fill your CamelBak with ice before filling it with water. No one will call you a wimp. They will thank you if you share it with them. When you are riding, feel free to squirt your thighs and the backs of your gloves with the hot liquid that sits in the hose, and then drink freely from the cold liquid. It will only hurt a bit.

The last mile was a bit rough ... but that was okay -- because the Izze™ pomegranite juice drink at the end on the ice was still so delightful. As was the cool shower. As was the entire shish kabob dinner at Bellagios.

I am not even going to talk about the Suns right now. "And Dallas has the first lead since the 2 point lead they has at the start of the game." It looks bad.

Update:: They lost.

No comments: