Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Today's 8.5

Miles ... 8.5 miles riding. I rode to work in the frost on the ground frigidness. I left my bike at work and then walked from potrero hill to Pacific Heights and then to North Beach for dinner, about 4 miles. A cab back to work then ride over to BART and train to Millbrae. Ride through the ice on the road frosty chillyness to home at midnight.

Brrrr... No snow though. I put on an extra layer this morning and was still chilly as I left the station tonight. I stopped and put on my gloves and something around my neck. By the time I got home and into the house I was seriously overheated and ripping my clothes off,

2 comments:

Yokota Fritz said...

Overheated -- that's what generally happens in cold weather cycling. We put the layers on because it's cold, but with some exertion that layers just become unwanted insulation.

shawnkielty said...

I have been out enough in this weather or a bit colder to know better. Putting on a layer when too cold is as important as taking it off when your too warm.

On longer trips this becomes very important, because becoming drenched in sweat when it's cold can provide an opportunity for hypothermia, especially if one is forced to stop moving.

But on a three mile sprint to home -- it hardly seems worth the effort to strip and carry the clothes -- when home is just ten minutes or so away.