Sunday, February 4, 2007

The Remains of the Day

Read the book referenced in the title of this post. It's charming. My mother recommended it.

I saw my mother this morning. They're treating her now for diabetes, developed as a result of steroid use. Atheletes with race induced asthma should pay very close attention. Albuterol is a steroid, so is prednisone,
cortisone and a variety of treatments for emphysema. You'll recognize these. If you're young and you have trouble breathing because you're racing a bike -- tell your MD he's an ass -- and that it's normal to be out of breath after humping your tushy up whatever race. You don't need his steroids to win. Steroid use. WTF? My mother is just a mother.

My mother is good and somewhat happy. I hope they let her come home soon. I may have to insist on it.

I have driven a car recently, I admit it. My first since Christmas. The trials of the last few days have left me needing to move around a bit better. It's hard to haul the elders around on your bike. My father believes he can drive and -- "I'll stop by and take you dad" -- is the absolutely correct response.

I made chili today for tomorrow's game. It is the food of the gods. I went to my folks to make it -- and I worked on the guitar. I was trying to make enough progress to show to my son tomorrow, but no. Not today. I took pictures of the guitar, and tried to mobile blog them from my phone. They haven't shown up. Maybe tomorrow.

It's late. I am old and tired now. I have only the remains of the day to look at. I sure appreciate the folks that have taken the time to let me know they are thinking of me. I am glad to know that you care. I am touched.

Let's hope tomorrow is better. Go Bears.

2 comments:

The Donut Guy said...

Our son has severe asthma, I've always found it curious that quite a few of the bike riders in the professional peleton also has "asthma".

Must be a different version of the disease, our son describes an attack as trying to breathe through a drinking straw.

He's lucky as he has gotten older, he's had fewer and fewer attacks.

Chili? I *love* chili but I have to leave the house in order to eat it-the smell of it makes my wife ill..........

Di said...

I love the clear, precise and creative way you write. Your posts are such a delight to read...insightful and heartwarming...we're right there with you!

I wish better times for your family! Bummer that your mom has diabetes--I hope it's not too severe--seems she has enough to deal with already, but it sounds as though she's in good spirits. Tell her thanks for sharing the book, I'll have to check it out.

Your dad is fortunate too! I'm glad he was not injured terribly from the fall. Would be great if you share the game together!! I hope he gets to go home for sure!

You know, when my dad had his open-heart surgery in December, I took my laptop to the hospital and shared the good wishes sent his way from all our friends and family--he loved it, and he especially enjoyed seeing his photo with my mom included in my blog. It IS amazing the healing power of friends sharing during a time like this!! Thanks for making us part of YOUR family!!

Take care!! All the best!!!

Di