Sunday, February 5, 2006

Push Myself

Date: Feb. 5
Mileage: 25.6
February mileage: 47.9
Temperature on departure: 62

So today's ride was supposed to include pictures of an overcast day here (maybe tomorrow I can figure that out). I thought I could do something like this woman with the pictures. I could be like her if I was tough enough to ride 60 some odd miles through the snow. That's almost unbelievable after my little ride today. I am impressed.

Today was our first real overcast since I can remember in a while. It hasn't rained here in over a 100 days. It took me a while to make today's ride, with an average speed of about 10 mph. I tried to push myself early in the ride when I was running up the hill into Tonto National Forest. But toward the end I was mostly just trying to cruise back.

I stopped for a sandwich and made a stop at the cafe of the beautiful people. The regular aged road bike crowd at the cafe looked at me so overly thoughtfully when I said "Hi", perhaps because of my ugly old bike and ever so bleu jean grundgy appearance. Not exactly road racer chic. I just think they were suprised to see me on a bike. I didn't much mind; I had just ridden 18 awesome miles. My friend was there and his gf bought me a coffee. We laughed at my old ugly bike -- and enjoyed the coffee.

Everything worked really well, except my seat, which needs a bit more of a break in period, or I need one of those donut shaped butt pillows to sit on. Rumours that a hard day in the saddle might make me impotent are probably a bit far fetched, but nevertherless a possible good excuse for some. I'll be ok in a couple of days, I reckon; I shouldn't need to sit down 'til then anyway. I'll be dreamily admiring those BrooksTM saddles over at the friendly guy's bike place, and hope that the ongoing pain of breaking one in won't damage my virility.

Saddle recommendations are more than welcome.

No comments: