Thursday, February 9, 2006

Road Rage Kindness

This morning when I went over to the cafe of the beautiful people, I was pulling in to park in the way I do every morning -- occupying the opposing lane with my truck and targeting a spot directly across from the front door. Gloria (we're total strangers at this point) -- coming directly at me -- is coveting the very same spot. We simultaneously turn on our blinkers, and then both decide to relinquish our claim on said spot in favor of a spot behind Gloria. And both immediate drive toward it. So busy were we being nice to each other, Gloria (we never actually met -- I picked up her name out of her conversation with the barista) and I, that we almost collided. An imaginable world where I was trying to be nice to someone and ran into their car appears before me. We laughed a bit about "Road Kindness" and the kind of trouble that can get us into. Too bad we all always aren't so busy being nice to each other.

Date: Feb. 9
Mileage: 11.0
February mileage: 65.8
Temperature on departure: ~68

For some reason today (so that I would bring the bike in to work) my riding/hiking buddy decided, at about 6 in the morning, to call and change today's hike plan to a ride plan. I am better that it was a ride.

Today's ride wasn't exactly uneventful. I rode up past Red Mountain and into the Salt River canyon for a round trip total of 11 miles. I think this is the spot where the water mongers hijack the entire Salt River and put it into a canal. On the way up to Red Mountain I seriously cramped up, but I tried to just ignore it and push on. The cruise down into the Salt River went okay, but the trip back up out of there was tougher. On the way up the cramps in my calves were so bad I had to stop and walk for fear of just falling over.What the heck causes this to happen? I didn't think Tums™ were a required part of my diet. Maybe I could combine Tums™ and dried papaya to make an interesting gorp for riding. This is the first time I have been stopped from riding by this. On a more positive note the average speed for the ride was 11 miles an hour, up slightly from the other day.

Despite a somewhat painless day, I did order a Brooks™ saddle, which I hope will arrive soon. The promised pain from breaking it in will make me feel like I am riding a bike again, which seems good. There should be some measure of paradise immediately following.

No comments: