Tuesday, August 15, 2006

I Can't Leave You Alone for a Minute

While I was away, it seems that nothing has gotten done at all -- especially if you use the quality of the roads as a standard. Frankly Arnold, what have you been doing while I was gone, because it certainly hasn't been taking care of the roads. It's probably been good for you to have moved your life to Sacramento -- because the freeways around Hollywood suck. I felt like I had gone to Pennsylvania. I think I hit some potholes the size of New Hampshire. Didn't any one suggest that it might be nice to repair the roads? Really, what exactly are you doing? Pumping Iron?

The worst of it was driving this piece of shit Budget rental truck which would rock back and forth when I hit a bump, and get worse and worse , like it was going to self destruct, unless I put on the brakes or accelerated violently. Driving the eleven sixteen (27 in metric hours) hours here from Arizona was a real chore. I want my money back.

I'll need to go over to the Seven Eleven right away and register to vote. So I can vote for that Warren Beatty guy -- or Clint Eastwood. I know -- Warren Beatty and Clint Eastwood for Governor next time -- I want to see those two duke it out. It will be like the Fight Club. To hell with running the place. Did I mention that the place was on fire when I got back. Geez!

I want two things from my next governor, to fix the potholes, and to get those dangerous Budget trucks off the road. And put out the fires. I know I am being hard on the Budget trucks, but I had gone just 20 miles before that damn truck threatened to kill me forced me to brake quickly and pull over and make sure I was still ok. There were times in places like Pacheco Pass where I had to drive 45 MPH -- so I wouldn't tip over crash.

High today in San Francisco? 54°F. Are you hot? No. Are you wearing shorts? Yes. It's a habit I picked up in Arizona. Do you have to ride to work tomorrow? Yes. How far? I'll let you know. I think it's two miles to the coffee and train riding book reading hour, and then another 2-3 miles to work once I get off the train. Commute time with coffee? 1.5 hours. Can you take the bike on the train? Yes, the train car closest to San Francisco -- is for bikes. Can you ride and drink coffee at the same time? yep.

Meet the question man ... and ... welcome to San Francisco. I have to go now and find some bike riding clothes for my first day at work.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Good to see you arrived safely!

snafu918 said...

Glad to hear you made it!

shawnkielty said...

Thanks, And yes -- I did -- I am just a touch less grumpy today.

Anonymous said...

enjoyed the travel notes. i'd recommend Penske over Budget for a truck next time. although I had the van-based one and it looks like you had the bigger truck. Van-based one behaved pretty good, once you got used to it being about 9 feet wide!

shawnkielty said...

I am sure that I have more stuff than normal move it yourselfers.

shawnkielty said...

hi Pat, Thanks!

btw -- sorry to leave while you were vacationing.

Di said...

I missed you during some of our mutual traveling days/nights. My last leg occurred through the night in continuous pouring rain. Where were you?! Ha!

I'm glad you made it to your destination, safe and sound. I did too....over 2000 miles for me...thanks for keeping me company when you could!! We've had some fun 'trips' together, huh?

BTW...one of my classmates will be visiting your city soon, and would appreciate suggestions for which sites to see...got any you would like to share? E-mail or IM when you have a chance...we need to catch up!!!

WELCOME HOME!!! I hope you find a place to live soon!!