Saturday, August 5, 2006

Pay Attention DagNabit. I mean Pass the Advil


Moonlight over Hernandez, Digital Photograph by Shawn Kielty, August 5, 2006, in Mesa Arizona. Digital Photograph. © 2006 Shawn Kielty.

I crashed, it's that simple. It was dark and I was trying to escape the road for a bit at a stop light by scooting up the handicapped ramp to the sidewalk. The front wheel made the breach over the edge of the curb (I missed the flat spot because I was too cocky not paying enough attention to details), but the rear scooted out from under me and splat. A passenger in the vehicle trying not to run me over asked if I was ok and I was trying to say no while at the same time saying yes. But it all doesn't matter because the driver went right around the corner and drove away.

If I haven't broken my patella I think I'll be ok.

There some road rash, a dented elbow, forearm and knee. Of all the crashes lately I think mine is the least on the damage scale. Ruby, Gilby, Juneau Jill, and Alberto have all crashed recently.

So I guess it's my turn. Last time I crashed I was about 17. It hurts a bit more these days.

Date: 5 August 2006
Miles Riding: 18.73
Weather: 100°F.
Average: 12.8
Max: 19.7
Bike: Commuter
Ipod: Cream, Crossroads
August Bike Mileage: 78.84

Pass the Advil -- an ice pack and a cold one. I am sure I'll be much better at 5:45 AM tomorrow -- as I leave for an 8 mile hike to Miner's Needle in the Superstition Wilderness. I'll be sure to take a camera.

Y'all pay attention -- cause right now -- I am up for August!

3 comments:

The Donut Guy said...

I've been darn lucky these past few years.

In the past, I've broken both collarbones (at different times) and several fingers on each hand. And severly sprained both wrists and an ankle.

All of these injuries have occured while mountain biking, I've never had a serious crash on a road bike.

Lots of close calls though:-)

Unknown said...

I have one thing to say, OUCH! I got your miles updated, Shawn!

shawnkielty said...

I am ok, it seems. And thanks Tom.