Monday, August 7, 2006

The Question is ...


Will there be a Monsoon soon? This is East and slightly south from my house and is the obscured Buck Moon.


This was taken well after dark and is ... very interesting to me. It was taken just after the one above and towards the Northeast in the direction of the Usery Mountains. It reminds me of a painting. To the trained eye, there may appear to be spurious light flare in the upper left. It's from the lightning I guess. I was hoping for the rain itself.

4 comments:

snafu918 said...

Great blog check out mine:
http://phoenixfalconry.blogspot.com

The Donut Guy said...

Just curious......what settings did you use when you took this picture?

PS-It's a neat picture:-)

shawnkielty said...

The moon shot was f4 at 15 seconds -- I know this because I looked at the jpg image file, but the other one was probably f2.8 at 30 seconds -- which is the maximum exposure for my 20D.

I f I were shooting film I would try this -- focus on infinity -- open the lens using the bulb setting and once the lightning occurs close it. Then include two lightnings, then three. Shoot brackets of exposure from F4-F16. Repeat to consume one roll of film per storm.

shawnkielty said...

Image 1 -- the moon shot 8951. Focal Length of the Lens 17mm
ISO 100
Aperture F/4.0
Time 15 Seconds

Image 2 -- 8954 -- View to the North East.

Focal Length 17mm
ISO 100
Time 30 Seconds
Aperture f/4.0

These are the actual values in the JPeg files produced by the camera.