Saturday, January 13, 2007

Buying a Guitar Really Might be Easier

So now -- I've read the faq here. and I've read two books on the subject. Since I am now into it more that it would take to buy an acoustic guitar, it seems that I have again chosen the harder less travelled path. I haven't memorized them yet, but I did read Guitarmaking, Tradition and Technology, by William D. Cumpiano and Jonathan D. Natelson and The Guitar Masters Workshop, by Rik Middleton, which I didn't like because he calls clamping "cramping" and a c-clamp a "G-cramp". That troubles me. I am not sure what a G-cramp is, but I think it might have to do with not having sex during pregnancy. I shouldn't be so irreverant of someone skilled enough to make a guitar. The book was quite informative. It primarily talks about making a classical guitar. Later, when I have taught my self to play Flamenco -- I will be more interested in classical guitars.

Now, I am sure you are wondering what has possesed me to think I should build a guitar. I once read a detailed description of how to build a violin and it was quite facinating. Right now I am shopping around for that thing that is going to carry me emotionally and financially through the next 20 or so years of my life and it seems that making something with craft, tradition. and history, could be a cool place to start. I have the kind of patience, hands, and intent, to do quite well at something so simple and sophisticated.

I considered some other things, like being a bum, or just getting paid to travel.

I have a great piece of Port Orford Cedar which is just an inch or so too small to make a guitar soundboard ... so I think I am going to need to buy some spruce. Tomorrow -- I will do what I always do when starting a project. Clean up and collect the tools in one place.

After I go for a nice long ride.

3 comments:

Eclectchick said...

I am in awe. I hope you post lots of photos and blogs covering each step.

Immediately when I read your post, I thought of a couple films which involve the making of violins: En Coeur en Hiver and The Red Violin. It's so amazing to watch a musical instrument being born.

Wow.

shawnkielty said...

I think I saw that En Couer en Hiver film. At any rate -- I am going to try and post a few posts along the way.

I think we are a long ways from the awestruck, a musical instrument is born part. But thanks. Although I am a sculptor, I am not a very good woodworker, so it is with optimism that I proceed, and perserverance. When I read the chapter section called "troubleshooting your guitar" ... I imagined there are more than a few things that may go totally wrong.

Wry optimism and a little magic.

Eclectchick said...

I'm back to catch up on the guitar-making!

A little magic goes a long way. As does wry optimism (which combination I've never heard referenced, but believe fits me like a glove (most days)).