Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Early Guitar Project


... hmmm... well, it's started. I am reminded of the time two of my neighbors were talking once in the street in Hayward and I could hear them, because of a peculiar twist of the wind.

"What do you think our crazy neighbor is up to today?"
"You don't suppose he's going to cook up a boiling, smoky, oil filled cauldon out in the
driveway today?"
"Hard to say. He's probably going to wait till dark to do that, don't ya think?."
"Hmm, yeah."

This of course, was the day after I mixed a 20 gallon batch of oil-based clay in a drum over an open fire in my driveway. It started on the coleman stove, and then briquets and sticks, and then bark and firewood. It takes quite a bit of fuel to melt 20lbs of wax. Looking back ...

One of my friends gave me the strangest look the other day when I was describing the guitar project. It's clear that some people think this is an interesting project. Too interesting. It was one of those "you actually make baskets?" sort of looks.

The image above is a 1.5 inch thick workboard with a paper pattern and guitar shaped gasket (the shim) and "shoe," ultimately to hold and assembly the guitar. The next step is to layout the strings and neck, but let's just say, I am making some progress.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hee! Burning things in the driveway.. If you had included 20 vestigial virgins you would have had a real party!

Anonymous said...

there's a tom waits song...

"What's he building in there? What the hell is he building In there? He's hiding something from The rest of us... He's all To himself... I think I know Why... He took down the Tire swing from the Peppertree"

the guitar looks good!

shawnkielty said...

Laelias are my favorite orchid,, with out a doubt. Their namesake was a vestal virgin in or around 600 A.D. 'Twas the job of the vestal virgins to keep the home fires burning. Had they been there, I would have been able to sit back and relax.

I have spent so much of my life in a studio alone -- That I find being alone to be quite normal and that books like Night Studio describe a normal world.

Tom Waits lived in my neighborhood I think, or at least he can see my world some. ... I had a tire swing in a pepper tree in my yard.

Why is he always singing on a bike. He knows something we don't know. That must be it.

Anonymous said...

I see that you have let your hair grow long again!! It suits you. :))

Eclectchick said...

"Too interesting. It was one of those "you actually make baskets?" sort of looks."

Enh - they of little faith. They just don't get it. :-P We live in such an instant gratification world, you know?