Monday, January 15, 2007

Feeding a Tapeworm


Gluttony is still one of the seven deadly sins. Looking at this empty carton you'll discover that it contains 4 servings of 300 calories each. Burp.

The temps have been low, and it's been windy. Over the last two days it has been below freezing a few times and the onshore breeze has kept everyone a bit chilly. I rode my bicycle on sheet ice and black ice over the past two days. What I notice the most is this insatiable hunger like I might get if I had a tapeworm, even noticeable right after I eat.

Number of comparable items required to deliver 1200 calories:

Qt. Vanilla Swiss Almond Ice Cream -- 1
Venti® Caramel Machiatto -- 1.5
12 oz. Beers -- 6
Small cans of bumble bee tuna -- 12.2

The ice cream is clearly the best choice from this list. Why do we eat it on hot days? Because it's cold. Why eat it on cold days? Because we are cold.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

1.5 machiattos!?

i knew there was a reason for not like starbucks. sheesh. that's excessive.

and it's damn cold!!

shawnkielty said...

Just to be fair to Starbucks -- they state 690 calories for a breve caramel macchiato. But I didn't know that it didn't come with whipped cream. Cornell must have been making the 1000 calorie model in Mesa. LookHere for the beverage calories. You'll need to punch in your own details, however.


And isn't it cold. I hope it doesn't stay this way till February. I am going to need to order some pizzas.

Eclectchick said...

Oh yeah - that insatiable hunger. I feel that way after every swim workout. Like nothing can begin to fill me up.

BTW, I made "your" lentil soup last night. It was great! Even without sherry (the sherry in our frig was like a decade old, so I decided against possibly ruining the entire batch o' soup with it).

Yokota Fritz said...

There's a reason Alaska has the highest per-capita consumption of ice cream!

Jill Homer said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one with insatiable hunger, Shawn. I have to keep myself away from ice cream. I do understand the need to consume more calories, but until I start losing weight, I'm not going to risk gaining before Feb. 17. Lightness is next to godliness on top of snow. :-)

Fritz ...
Don't tell people in Utah that fact. They like to think they hold the title.

shawnkielty said...

Jill -- a lot of ultra trail runners and extreme ultra adventurers think that a few extra pounds is useful on the trail. ...

Eclectchick -- the sherry really just serves to emulsify the fat so there's no puddles of it floating on the top. a splash of vinegar would perhaps do the same thing.

I am glad you are enjoying it ..

Here's to the major food groups: Ice cream, burritos, soups, pastas, potatoes ... and so on.