Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Showtime

I set the alarm for 6 AM, and I laid out the riding clothes for the morning. Padded shorts, tights, a jersey, and some warmers.

I went to the doctor today to tell her that I was coughing in unbelievable fits at night like I had Pertussis (whooping cough), and that I was afraid I was going to break my ribs or something, and that I usually wanted to vomit after I was done turning blue, and she said, oh -- I think you have post nasal drip, take this phergain (sp -- an anti-nausea medication) with codiene (a pint of it, no less), that should help. Sure, narcotics usually help. "You'll be fine."

As long as I don't choke to death on my own phlegm while unable to wake up, cough, or puke.

I said, "Really?, I'll never take it."

I'll be up in the morning, on my bike, trying to navigate 16 miles of unknown urban paradise. Sans codiene. Paroxysms or not.

5 comments:

amidnightrider said...

Could it be from smoking perhaps?

I'll be waxing my snow shovel after work tonight.

Eclectchick said...

Oh yeah, narcotics and urban wanderings on 2 wheels - doesn't sound like a great combo.

Hope you're feeling better!

shawnkielty said...

Thanks Eclectchick!

Smoking in California is almost illegal these days, but despite that, if it's from smoking, I am in real trouble, because I haven't smoked for a couple of years. This ailment is clearly some sort of pathogen, and might actually be pertussis.

I am staying away from my parents, as catching this could kill them. Since I think I lived through it once I am guessing I'll live through it again. When you update your tetanus, make sure to get the dtap because it also has pertussis.

shawnkielty said...

And it's on the rise in adult populations whose vaccinations have waned.

Jill Homer said...

My dad got whooping cough last year at age 53. The doctors diagnosed him with as much. He was pretty sick for more than a month. I hope you feel better soon!