Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Heat is Up -- Special Weather Statement

Date: 31 May 2006
Miles: 12.58
Average Speed: 14.4
May Mileage: 303.89
Weather: 101°F. Sun
Bike: Roadie.

Temps are expected to hit 110 by Saturday. I suppose that is hot. Most staggering is the relative humidity, which has been as low as 4%, and less than 8% for most of the daylight hours. Talk about sucking the juice right outta your pucker. It is really just hot and dry. Burns one's lips to inhale.

Someone I don't remember, called out to me today at work to ask if I had ridden in to work -- and I had to say no -- tomorrow. I think I may becoming known as that guy that rides his bike dispite the heat, which I haven't actually done that much of yet. This is really something because two of my coworkers ride everyday -- but their commute is much shorter.

2 comments:

Jill Homer said...

And people think I was crazy for biking in the winter!

When I was living in Utah, I never understood the "But it's a dry heat" justification. Heat is heat, and like you said, low humidity will suck you dry. I've been hiking in Arkansas when it was 90 degrees and 90% humidity, and it wasen't as bad as biking on black top when it was 107 and 10% humidity in Salt Lake.

shawnkielty said...

My response.