Sunday, July 16, 2006

The Ground is so Hot ...


It can fry a snake. No -- seriously --- stay out of the bike lane. This guy was undoubtably the causualty of a car.

Date: 15 July 2006
Miles Riding: 10.96
Weather: 93°F.
Bike: Marin San Marino
July Bike Mileage: 51.43

Todays ride was a bit more eventful than I would like. I destroyed the original Ipod earbuds by rinsing one of them in the sink accidentally. I have tried to find a suitable replacement -- but they are impossible to find. I can't walk into a store and buy original Ipod earbuds. I even tried the Mac store. I have to order them online. This is the most insanely stupid thing I know of -- and only Apple could make that possible. Why? I couldn't possibly imagine.

So I almost died today because I wasn't aware that there was a pickup right next to me -- because I was wearing a replacement set (Griffen) of headphones -- and couldn't hear the ambient noise of the road. Not to worry -- I lost those later when I blew a tire and had to walk three miles because the tire tools fell out of the Banjo Brothers large seatbag, which defaults to dump the contents of the bag if the zipper isn't secured correctly. I'll be giving that bag away later.

Well that about sums it up. It was cooler because I went out earlier in the day. The brotherhood of the sweaty was out in full force -- so perhaps next week I'l start earlier and carry the camera. They all are eager to wave -- but -- not so willing to stop and offer asistance to a stranded cyclist.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

If nothiong else, the way the mount strap is set up, Shawn, just put the Banjo Bag on upside down! That way the zipper opening is to the top! I learned that when I almost lost a cell phone and multitool out on a trail.

shawnkielty said...

I thought of that too -- and it's all well and good and I may try it -- but it sure didn't help me fix that flat. It seems like it might be a good idea to make the bag so that it works well when the label is right reading. I had a spare and a patch kit -- but no tire tools, they having eeked their way out of the bag.

I only had to walk three miles, so I guess I shouldn't complain too bitterly.

Unknown said...

True enough, after all, it could have happened out in the Superstitions! ::GRIN:: That would truly suck!

Jaco said...

What a mess Shawn. Shit happens often enough on its own. When we're prepared, and the stuff we depend on malfunctions, you're right, it doesn’t help in doing what needs be done. Hope you work out the bag issue.

Oh! And man, loose the headphones while you're cycling. Don't make me have to come over there...

The Old Bag said...

Dude -- you just gotta stop wearing the tunes while riding!

Music and cycling don't mix

noway
nohow
never
ever

whether on a trail or in traffic

...ok, I'll stop being your mother now....

:-]

The Old Bag said...

You tell him, Ruby!

shawnkielty said...

Ruby -- the bike bag fiasco could have been easily avoided had I just zipped the zipper better. Since I sit around thinking up redundant systems all day that protect us from losses ... It just came to mind that if the bag opening were at the top ...

I agree with you OB and Ruby -- to a point. Don't wear anything on your head that prevents hearing the ambient road noise. Period. And this includes those Griffen headphones. Yesterday ... well ... I knew better.

Safety is the only criteria I ever had in putting on headphones. If you're a hearing person on a bike and you can't hear, you're in danger. Dangerous danger.

The beauty of the original Ipod earbuds is that it is easy to hear the ambient noise, in fact it is as if the earphoes aren't there. listening to music or the news at a reasonable volume, allows for conversation and safety when riding.

Anonymous said...

And yes, I too must yell at you. Put nothing on your ears that shouldn’t be there. You are a bad, bad boy! Music and riding don’t mix. It’s like yelling at drivers for talking on their cell phones…same shit.

Anonymous said...

Shawn - I'm staring at the '07 first blush samples from the factory - the zippers, reversed. I used the large bag for about a month until my friend Gene refused to ride with me with my packrat ways.

My trick with this bag was to use a large ziplock bag and lump all the contents together. Tube, patch kit, multi-tool, allen wrenches, C02 Cartriges., Credit Card, keys, phone, kitchen sink, etc.

I owe you a beer for the walk. Details to follow.

Mike
Banjo Brothers

shawnkielty said...

Thanks Mike!

I was a bit hard on you guys. It's not the first time I've walked three miles.

That's really the answer -- gravity needs to help keep the contents in the bag and the zipper closed. This bag works better when it's full, and I haven't checked it since I took my raincoat out of it in May.

I think the raincoat will have to go back in now.

Mike -- my buddies don't complain when I carry extra stuff, they're happy.