Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Welcome Back to AZ -- Did You Miss Me?

The first time I visited Arizona I was with my young daugther. She insisted Arizona was a woman we were going to visit -- "Are we going to meet Arizona?" She would say. I tried my hardest to explain that Arizona was a place, but her 3 or 4 year old mind just wasn't cooperating.
Welcome to Arizona. It isn't what you think it is -- it's a woman you can meet.









It's storming. Lightning strikes are so frequent that it's like daylight. The crashes are close enough now so that I am afraid to stand outside. I can hear the crack as the lightning strikes. From where I am there is lightning in every quadrant of the sky.

Date: 25 July 2006
Miles Riding: 14.08
Weather: 109°F.
Bike: Road
July Bike Mileage: 84.47

Presently, it has finally started to rain. And rain it is. It's as if the heat creates a surface tension on the floor of the desert that the water can not penetrate. Once the tension is broken a torrent emerges.



It's just a few minutes later and it's now raining at the desert's normal 3-5 inches an hour rate -- and we are probably about to flash flood. There's several inches deep of water right near my patio and around the drive. There's no indication I need to move the valuables uphill yet.


It has slowed to a light rain now, and the light show rages on.

9 comments:

Jaco said...

Hope your safe... Flash floods what a mess.

shawnkielty said...

It's morning now and all is well. There's barely any eveidence of a rain storm left.

Jill Homer said...

Those pictures are stunning. I really miss those summer desert storms.

John said...

Okay, those are great pictures. Simply electric!

Hey, don't give me static for the joke.

Unknown said...

To echo, great pics! I particularily love how you caught the lightning! By the way, the alphabet puzzle for me today was your name! That's right the word recognition to prove I'm not a spambot was "shawn" ::GRIN::

Braedy said...

The pictures are great Shawn. We've been having a few storms up here as well, but no lightning. It has basically been just rain, followed by intolerable humidity. It's been the type of rain that deafens you and covers up any noise that anything could make.

shawnkielty said...

Thanks to all for the positive thoughts and compliments.

The weather here has gotten wild. It's quite humid and storms seem frequent. So maybe I will have another chance to wipe the raindrops off my lens, later tonight or tomorrow. Some areas in that storm got over two inches of rain. That's one quarter of the annual rainfall in Phoenix.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Got late to this one. Great pics! Hard to believe all that rain...and all that desert. It all seems somehow incompatible.

shawnkielty said...

The Mohave desert is austere. minimal. This desert -- the Sonoran desert -- is lush, wet, green. It is a result of the monsoon - During July and August half of the annual rainfall occurs.

Should it look like this isn't a desert -- this year we went 143 consecutive days without a trace of rain. Which explains why a saguaro cactus can hold tons of water.