Monday, July 31, 2006

Open Up Your Pearly Gates


It's official. For those of you that haven't figured it out yet, I am leaving this desert wonderland for San Francisco in about two weeks. I can't quite imagine my life without the wilderness out the front door. But today, I left one of the largest employers in the world for one of the smallest. I've accepted a good position with a startup in San Francisco. It is with a certain sadness that I leave Mesa. I have been here a short two years, yet there is a long list of friends and acquaintances with which I must say goodbye. There are some folks I will miss, the new Jane, grocery store girlfriend, the ever happy hiking buddy, that guy Dan, coffee shop girlfriend, and the Meca Men. There are some I wish would join me. There's a bunch of other folks on this list. It's sad to leave these people behind.

But, then again. It's easy to get excited about San Francisco. I'll be working South of Market -- so I can get a place in the Mission or South of Market -- and ride to work. The food is really good. And there's art and the arts. And then there's the weather. And all the other people with bikes. I'll be able to wear my hair in dreadlocks or wear purple tights under my cutoff jeans, or just something simple like wearing shorts to work. There will be Jazz and open air cafes, and did I mention that the food is good? I could go on.

Ahead -- Options to exercise and hard work to do, all amidst the joyous clamour of a real city. And within miles of my family. Could I live in North Beach, Chinatown, Russian Hill, Japantown? Is there a French quarter? Je voudrais une tasse de cafe, si'l vous plait? Merci!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well you certainly sound excited. It sounds like a good move. Enjoy yourself and keep us informed. I understand SF is a great biking city so you won’t have much difficulty in getting out on some great rides. Enjoy the life and the work.

Jaco said...

I'm really happy for you. But I am very, very jealous. Just last week I was telling my wife that I don't know why we live where we do cause there's nothing happening here. I wish that I had the courage to leave. But until then, I'll cry instead. Good lookin'

The recent images are really wonderful. Thanks...

The Old Bag said...

Hey, congrats on the change -- sounds like you're excited...yet transitioning which is always bittersweet.

shawnkielty said...

Gang -- it is good -- exciting -- and bittersweet.

There's been a gathering of positiveness and support around me ammong my friends here in Mesa since I decided to leave. It feels good.

Thank you too for all for the positive thoughts!

Ruby, It isn't reeally courage that allows me to leave, but rather, my fear of the unknown here.