Sunday, October 22, 2006

Four Shillings Short


At the San Gregorio General Store, San Gregario, California.

I saw two performances this weekend of Four Shillings Short. One included dinner with Aodh Og O Tuame and Christy Martin at the Great Room in the Santa Cruz Mountains. And the other was an afternoon at the San Gregorio General Store in San Gregorio. Our hosts at the home concert, were excellent and the view, dinner and show were all superb.

The general store in San Gregorio is unique and vital to the community. So the event there was warm and happy in a way that speaks profoundly of the quiet coastal town. Someone asked me what I think of the show, and I said "What's not to like?" Everything about these shows was warm and friendly, in a way I remember from my grandfather. Audh Og and Christy both offered me a warm welcome as I returned to see another show today; they offered me a kindness and charity, that I won't soon forget. If you get a chance to see Four Shillings Short ... I'd go tomorrow. try their website for the rundown on shows in your area.


Audh Og plays a variety of fipple flutes, recorders and and renaissance wind (reed) instruments and is funny and charming throughtout the show.


Look at all those flutes.


Christy Martin mixes Irish folks songs with a Sitar (She also plays and composes traditional Ragas) with surprising and grand result.


I met this gentlemen from the bronx and Raphael, during the first of two intermissions.

Here's a one minute sample.



Make your own Razz!


Aodh Og stuns the crowd.


Christy plays a guitar, banjo, mandolin, mandola, and a custom bazooki (sp?).


and the Hammer Dulcimer.


I am happy!

No comments: