Saturday, October 14, 2006

About the Bike Specific Clothing ...


Photo credit

Remember when I posted this. I couldn't imagine the bike specific clothing ... however -- I am considering cutting off my new jeans just below the knee, adding tights, a yellow slicker, and fenders. That would kinda make them bike specific clothes. Maybe I should just cut off one leg ... of the jeans, thanks.

I've come a long way baby. Now I am thinking about fenders. Really. The truth is, being back in a cosmopolitan city is a delight. I can wear hats that are not sun hats. I haven't seen a polo shirt in weeks (thank the pantheon of gods), I can hack up my jeans with a knife, and wear a hard hat to work -- and no one will think less of me. I can even attach a pigeon pelican statue to my helmet. When I dress in a way that's funny, they laugh. It's good. The ancient Bob Dylan t-shirt gets questions and compliments. "Did you see him?" -- "Yes!" -- "Cool." When I wear cowboy boots, it's a statement, and not my way of life. No one assumes I am carrying a gun. So far, no one has pointed out that I am wearing a pink shirt. I can wear big ugly scuncis and big clips in my hair -- or let it get all ratty. No one cares.

Welcome home.

It's like that. I grew up here. I know the shortcuts -- the places to lock-up a bike. Where to get a flat fixed. The guy at the hardware store. Where to get coffee in about 20 neighborhoods. The best route through traffic. It's nice to feel so comfortable. California Dreaming. The way to the beach. Never mind about Fleming and John.

So here it is -- I am back to my roots. I got my pamphlet in the mail for the November election and I didn't even register. Let's re-elect Govenor Moonbeam in November -- he's my favorite of all time. As Mayor of the city of Oakland, he has been an outstanding citizen. I seriously doubt he is a s far left as "they" say. I'll vote in November, as I should.

I have been thinking i need the neoprene booties ... or a full body wetsuit.

3 comments:

The Donut Guy said...

I run fenders on my Cross-Check.

Partly because they keep the spooge off of me and partly because I just like the way they look.

Unknown said...

Shawn, I'm hosted on Blogspot as well as Livejournal mirroring the posts on my blog! I use the Blogspot and Livejournal because the features and bandwidth on the MSN site make it absolutely suck for dialup folks + there is that MSNOB issue you mentioned as well! :)

The only reason I stay with MSN is the sheer traffic I have there due to my being featured in July. I'm still getting monster hits from that. Not like the 397,000 hits in one day when my feature was running and I was also a headliner on the MSN homepage, but still a respectable quarter million hits a month!

Yokota Fritz said...

I like it here too, the fact that I don't have to get kitted out for a simple bike ride.