Saturday, March 25, 2006

Chainring Challenge -- It's an Uphill Thing.


Tunitas Creek Road photo stolen from here

Here's a description of part of my May ride in CA. The climb up King's Mountain Road is a major feature in this 120k ride and described in this document, along with what promises to be a good warm up ride. The additional and perhaps harder climb will be the climb up Tunitas Creek Road (from the beach -- one picture, here, shown above) to the exact same spot. Alledgedly, it's an average of 9% grade over some 3.6 miles. Perhaps, Alice's Restaurant has an internet connection and I'll be able to stop and post my progress and condition after both climbs. That would be fun. The link map also includes some of the other parts of the ride like stage road -- and this says "The very steepest parts of Tunitas Creek will make you wince if you've only got a 23-tooth cog though!," and the map clearly says there is three miles of it.

Since the new bike is not designed for wimps, only insane crazy people like myself, I'll be doing this without the benefit of alpine gearing. So there may be either heroic reports of feats of sheer physical brilliance, or tales that include the distances walked. So maybe I should bring a pedometer as well. Or do some hiking in my new biking shoes.

I know I am definitely bringing cab fare. But you may be able to find me in one of the local clubs (I'll be the one eating), and listening to Neil Young, who just happens to drop in to play live acoustic, because he knows I'm in the hood.

While I was shopping around for some good places to practice, ride, sweat, pee, show off, get off, stand on a soapbox, stump, I found this page describing some great road climbs that you can find in Arizona -- along with top times and grades, and tales of cycling heroism.

I may join these riders (not the record breakers, the bike shop breakfast eaters with Arlo on the Group W bench) the Thursday before the big ride -- as my last warm up run, but the in meantime, I'll be considering some weight training. I need to find someone to show me how to do that.

A recipe from paradise:

To one new bike, add one old victim, new shorts, pedals and shoes, thirty five miles in the saddle, several hills and one river valley. To the result add some pints of carbohydrate and protein liquid, 2 alleve, and 2 cod liver oil tabs. Then roll in Bengay™ and roast in sleeping bag overnight with the Pearly cat. Repeat.

Tomorrow is Sunday, and you know what they say about Sundays. I'll be stumping my shorts up to the Pearly Gates.

4 comments:

annie said...

I don't know what else AZ has to offer, as I've only ridden there for one week of my life, but I thought the Salt River Canyon was hella fun. The problem with canyons, unfortunately, is that you get the fun descent out of the way first and then you have to get back out. Going up and over mountains is much nicer....

shawnkielty said...

Having the downhill first is like having dessert before dinner. Actually, my little 20 mile loop over Usery Pass goes into the Salt River Canyon and then climbs back out at the point where the Salt River runs into a canal and is nevermore. It's not nearly as beautiful here as it is in your picture.

annie said...

Yeah, we were on whatever that highway is that goes straight through the middle of it. It was the highlight of the whole week. Did you look at all the pictures? That was some good ridin'. You're lucky to have that stuff available to you year round.

shawnkielty said...

Wow, that was a good trip -- maybe I'll go do that tomorrow. ha!. This is my favorite -- the radioactive cow http://swanberg.dyndns.org/GABA2004/10-08-2004/target58.html

Or maybe it was the photo of you hitch hiking in front of the state prison -- you do know that in Maricopa county (where I live) inmates can be identified by thier pink underwear. It's true -- they have to wear pink undies. Personally, I think that in AZ that might be cruel and unusual punishment. "You want a ride? Hmmm ... Do you have pink undies?" -- could be the title of that photo.

It is nice here -- right now it's spring and you should be jealous. It's chronically pleasant. In a few months though, it will be hot. And I'll become an expert on hydration strategies.