Wednesday, March 15, 2006

The Local Bike Shop

This was inspired by a post of the old bag's today, and a few young men I have met in my life. The Old Bag has a lot of bikes.

30ish years ago there was a guy named Robert that helped me put together a Centurion -- that would still kick some ass today (if I could just be 16 again and ride it.) He helped me learn to build and ride a bike and how to fix 'em. He was a young guy like the kid over at the local bike shop near me today. Enthused, and happy to share his enthusiasm. I spent a lot of time at that shop.

In Mesa there are local bike shops everywhere. I treat them well and try to patronize them in a good way. I have my favorites, and it's sort of like buying a pizza at Ray's, it's tough to decide where to go. The other day I was in the shop and the young guy, the kid was fixing my oh so frequently flat tire while he was busy helping an even younger man start to make decisions in his life. I think a lot of a young man named Robert who taught me a lot about bikes, a lot about tools, and helped me make many wise decisions about a bike I was building, and shared my youthful passion. He helped me build a 20 lb bike in 1976, on my high school salary. And he taught me enough, so I don't feel stupid 30 years later. He was one of my first mentors outside of my family. And he did a good job. If he reads this -- I think he should turn his cub scout pin upside right.

I don't want to ignore the Elder Brother -- who also did a lot to help and inspire me. Although my sweet little bike was stolen several years later -- his gitane was not. I may get to ride that for my Ride for the Cure. If that's true I really need to get in shape, because it just has ten gears, and none of the ones in the back are very big.

There's hopefully more going on in the local bike shop than just fixing flats. I say, spend your money wisely, and support the community that supports you.

3 comments:

The Old Bag said...

Great post! Those are the stories we need to hear.

shawnkielty said...

I love your moniker -- btw.
Thanks! they are. He's grown old like us I bet. he was just a few years older than me. You have a great collection of bikes.

The Old Bag said...

Thanks and thanks! I came across each of them in their own time -- second hand, various discounts, etc. (as an old lady, I've had a few years to collect, I guess). Each one has its own set of memories that flood back with each ride. :-]