Friday, March 24, 2006

Some Humble Pie

Date: 24 March 2006
Mileage: 15.84
Mileage for March: 221.44
Weather: Sunny 80°F.
Average: 13.7

This was a ride filled with hill climbs, at least as I could find near the cafe of the beautiful people. On one particular climb I passed a young woman. About two minutes later she passed me and rode away from me like I was going backwards. Despite that, it appears I may have caught up with Jill, which of course would depend on whether she is actually on her bike this early in the Alaska day, or not,

This is not to take away from the kudos that Jill deserves, as she is riding a 33° slippery snowy mud slime with a cold, while I am riding on clean broken glass covered roads, in eighty degree sunny weather. It's no wonder I was able to catch her, unlike that grrrl on the hill today. Now that I have overtaken Jill -- it's on to catch ladyvelo.

I did ride for a bit today with a guy named Terry, and we made a few short hill climbs on Las Sendas Mountain. This was the first somewhat sweaty trip out so far this year, and I forgot to fill the water bottles. One hour, no water, 80 degrees. I have to think ahead better -- because in July that will be dangerous.

2 comments:

annie said...

Uh oh, does this mean I have to keep posting my mileage? #@$*& public accountability....

shawnkielty said...

I think it will get easier for me if you continue to post them -- but I was thinking that 500 miles in 8 days is going to be hard to catch up on, so maybe it's better to avoid the challenge over time, and hold your ground as the clear victor.

For now ...