Saturday, March 18, 2006

New Bike Day for Me


My Uncle Ralph passed away recently. I could wax along and remind everyone of all the classic Ralphism's, like, "Anyone that would eat this, would eat woodpecker eggs," or talk about how he put olives in his beer, but the purpose of this post is not to eulogize Ralph. It's to talk about the bike he just bought me. You see Ralph always bought us the greatest baseball glove, bat, pigskin football, skateboard, whatever the new snowboard of the day was. He bought it for us. Well he just bought me a new bike.

All the road folks riding in Hell Week and racking up hundreds of miles each,

EclectChick
LadyVelo
The S.S. Blog
Recreational Reading
UltraRob

and one or two of my friends at work have inspired me to buy a new bike, and of course Gilby, with her new bike. I have never had a new bike in my life. Not only is this bike new -- it is very light. I want to ride it around the gravel velo, but gosh, it's a road bike. They have inspired me to buy a road bike.

For those that don't recognize this bike, it's a Marin San Marino vintage 2004. It weighs somewhere near 20 lbs. It is well outfitted with some Shimano ultegra gear, on a steel and Carbon frame. 9 cog 12-24 rear cassette, and 53,39 chainwheels, has aluminum rims and high pressure, slickery smooth clinchers.

I may need to practice my hill climbing a bit, but the near 20 lb weight should eliminate some of the demand. I may have to stop jumping curbs too!

"I licked it so now it's mine!"

No comments: