Saturday, March 25, 2006

That Felt Pretty Good

Date: 25 March 2006
Mileage: 37.61
Mileage for March: 259.05
Weather: Sunny 82°F.
Average: 14.6

I should mention that I traded in my clips for some spd pedals. I haven't crashed -- thank God -- and find them ok. There's no leather, which bothers me, but they are ok. This ride included both climbs of Las Sendas Mountain and the back of Usery Pass, and the less than famous Power Road climb into the Salt river.

I also bought some Pearl Izumi attack shorts. I have an aversion to spandex, lycra, elastic, latex and people calling foam padding a chamois (In the day -- that was reserved for the skin of a goat kid). I am not entirely sure these shorts and I are going to get along. The elastic is leaving a ring around my thigh. Is that what the attack part meant, that they would attack me? Despite all of this the shorts did make it a bit easier in the saddle.

The tag on the "Attack Short" shows a picture of a Saguaro cactus next to the dryness indicator. Does that mean that they can absorb and hold several tons of water in a virtually moisture free environment? I hope not. Maybe, they are impenetrable by thorns. That would be wishful thinking.

They also have a padded seat like an easy chair. I hope I don't turn into a wimp.

I did see a blooming hedgehog cactus today in a well irrigated garden. It is just a small indicator that spring is indeed starting in the sonoran desert. More to come.

No comments: