Saturday, April 29, 2006

Brotherhood of the Hungry

It's the brotherhood of the hungry. "Yeah man you gotta eat...," says Ruby in my last post. Ain't that the truth. Eat early and often. Is what I have always said, but never done. When I quit smoking in July, I started to eat again. Even that thing the rest of you call breakfast. I never have been good at making breakfast work. Leo Tolstoy said, "most people think of changing the world, but few people think of changing themselves." SO I am going to have to figure it out.

A while ago I found this type of moth, a sphinx moth, flapping wildly inside the house with a cat flying equally as wildly below it. It is about the size of a sparrow or a bat, I hung the cat on the coat rack (just kidding, I put her in the bird's cage) and set out to find this monster bug. This is just one of many varieties of sphinx moth in the vicinity of Arizona. This photo was taken by Paul Opler. I have no idea if the moth I found is the Falcon Sphinx or not. I gave it to an entomology student, the young Jane, who is not to be confused with the old Jane, who didn't much care for bugs either.

Turns out that this large bug is the pride of Jane's 200 bug collection. So maybe she can tell us which Sphinx Moth it is. After seeing this woman in The Silence of the Lambs, I am positive it would be a bad idea to eat the moth, even for a cat (Annie Leibovitz photo of Jodie Foster is gorgeous). I repeat, do not eat the moth.

So I went to the Mediterranean restaurant after my ride today and was treated to this, compliments of Jane, for finding the best darn bug around.



Which of course I tried to eat.



Oh -- and I was kidding about the cat, I love Pearl the Cat; I threw her outside for a minute (I opened the door first).

Since the bird didn't get to eat the cat, I gave him the leftover shish-kebob.

1 comment:

The Donut Guy said...

Good job on quitting smoking. I quit cold turkey 5 years ago after years of trying to quit.

Best thing I've ever done besides marrying my wife:-)