Saturday, April 8, 2006

Danger Will Robinson


I think there's been a disturbance. I love the Old Bag's post there. It reminded me to think of other worlds, other spaces and times in my life, other intersections of life and the e-worlds. And surprisingly the Jetsons and Lost in Space. When we have opportunities to intersect our breathing life with the ethersphere, some of our past experiences, rumours and real news about horrors of meeting people from the internet, can cause fits of panic, apprehension, or just slight nervousness. This is normal, methinks. But today, I think we need to tell that robot -- "There is just no cause for alarm. " When I originally started this post I was mostly just linking to the Old Bag's post, which had sent me into a reverie. But then ...

I had the exceptional pleasure of sharing a 52 mile ride today with the Old Bag and a group of riders out in Sun City. She is charming and witty, every bit as brilliant in real life as in her blog. Plus what, she can really ride a bike. The ride was completely fun and perhaps we will do it again sometime. Thanks Jeanne, I enjoyed the ride and the company.

My average for this was 17.4. This was clearly the longest and fastest ride I've ever done. Make note to self, "ride more often with the Old Bag. "

After that and lunch I stomped out to the Salt river to add a few more miles to my day, and a bit more significance to my muy (that's moo-ie) sunburn and muy miles.

Date: 08 April 2006
Miles Today: 68.42
Kilometers: 110.08778
Average: 16.4
April Mileage: 139.29
Weather: 88 and sunburny

We all know what that means. Men ride faster when accompanied by women, and that's a bit like a metric century. Muy Bueno.

10 comments:

The Donut Guy said...

Oh man. I am so old, I can remeber when that was on TV...........

Unknown said...

Sounds like you had a great ride, Shawn! I ever got out to Phoenix area, we'll have to hook up!

shawnkielty said...

george -- and so can I. We waited and waited for that Lost in Space to come on.

Tom -- It was a good ride, and I am going be sore in a bit. Any time you're here ... there's good mountain biking too.

Joann said...

I like your cool blog. Here is one you might enjoy:
http://fatgrocer.blogspot.com/

shawnkielty said...

Hi Joanne -- Thanks! -- I was wondering how I would get my bike from San Jose international to my parents house in San Mateo? Would a cab like yours be able to do that, or should I plan on riding it?

Joann said...

Yes, just tell the airport starter you would like a taxi van. Or even one of the shuttle vans (they might do it for less). Keep it in the box. They should be able to help you.

To ride, I would go up El Camino.

The very best way is to take the free #10 bus from SJC to the train in Santa Clara. There are two #10 busses so just make sure it is the one to the train.

shawnkielty said...

Thanks Joann. I could rent an SUV, but I was thinking (what a slutball I would be) it might more appropriate to try not to use any gas on the trip. Or take some public transit. I will be able to drive my parents car if need be, but they can't really handle a bike.

A 25 mile slog up El Camino -- I am not sure I can handle that. Plus what -- I will be on a tight schedule -- perhaps coming in late in the evening.

The Old Bag said...

Hey Shawn -- fun post!! Thanks for the compliments. It was a great ride and fun to meet up with you! Glad you could make it over to the west valley.

John said...

See, that's why you have to avoid the metric system. It's just not right.

shawnkielty said...

I'll need to be able to quote you on that one John.