Sunday, April 9, 2006

The Hackberry Springs Hike

My faithful nemesis continues to destroy my body. Even a week later. The Superstition Wilderness. Each time I enter I come out in pain. I don't get it. The Hackberry Springs loop is a beautiful hike. It's 5-6 miles, fairly level, nice. I just don't get it, do I have some bad juju there or what? Several of my recent hikes have ended with some pain.


Moon Rise over Siphon Draw. Digital Photograph. Copyright 2005 Shawn Kielty. All rights reserved.

In November I went in to the Superstition Ridgeline hike. Since this hike is often compared to a rim-to-rim hike of the grand canyon (it isn't), I'm not surprised that I was more than a bit sore after that hike. It's about 11-12 miles with a mile vertical ascent. It hurt. It still hurts.


Saturday November 12, 2005, I am standing near the top of Superstition Mountain. Photo © Dale Perry 2005. All rights reserved.

On the Hackberry Springs loop there is a mine shaft that goes back a 100 ft. of so. There is the spring itself and water. Pools and running water ... these things are indeed rare in the Superstition Wilderness.


Elephant Arch in the Superstition Wilderness, near Hackberry Springs. © 2005 Shawn Kielty. All rights reserved.

There is the Elephant Arch -- named by my ever happy hiking pal. It's a good hike.

If you asked where the Superstition Wilderness is -- I'd say right out the window, right near my house. Stop by and I'll take you there.


It's full of hoodoos and goblins.

What this post doesn't do -- is show the blooming cactus (there were none last week) or show you the endless teddybear cholla forests, where alledgedly the lost dutchmans gold is hidden. Or a single saguaro. or even hint at an ocotillo, the best of which are all abloom here on the floor of the Valley of the Sun.

2 comments:

The Donut Guy said...

My wife and her sister did the rim-to-rim hike of the Grand Canyon a few years ago.

She was sore for a few weeks afterwards:-)

shawnkielty said...

I hear that's a rough go. Hard on the toes and most of the feet up to the elbows.