Tuesday, April 4, 2006

What About My Foot Pizza?


George, the bike riding donut guy, is asking "if that's your foot, what did you do to it?" It is injured, wounded, and feels like it has been beaten with a hammer. Said pain is accompanied by swelling and throbbing, and responds well to ice packing and Alleve™. So I am probably not making this up, despite the fact that there was no single event to explain the injury.

Saturday's 44 mile ride and/or Sunday's 6 mile hike have left my foot severely beaten. The 6 miles in the Superstitions included the same terrain as always: scree, larger scree, rock, harder rock, steeper rock and steeper scree, an occasional cave, getting disoriented, one dead camera battery, and several open streambed scrambles. It's nothing new. We didn't find the Lost Dutchman's gold.

Adjusting my clippies in my cycling shoes could help, or not hiking. It's hard to say. Ice definitely halps, as does rest and elevation. Tomorrow is bike to work day here at the widget factory, so I'll be riding 20 miles, and bragging about it.

I wonder how it is going to respond to the 100km Desert Classic on Saturday. I'll have a Hercules pizza and an ice pack please.

2 comments:

The Donut Guy said...

Mmmmmm pizza and beer.

2 beers and I am out like a light:-)

My wife is a nurse and she's say the same thing I am going to........take it easy for a couple days.

Do you have a set of flat pedals? They might be more comfortable.....

shawnkielty said...

I do ... yes. I have taken 2 days off now and things seem better. So I have ridden to work today.

I did add some padding to the inside of one shoe to try and make it easier on my foot. and adjusted the cleat a bit further back.

27 miles today and things feel good; tomorrow may tell a different story.