Saturday, April 1, 2006

Oh La La -- Follow that Motorcycle.

Date: 1 April 2006
Mileage: 43.6
Mileage for April: 43.6
Weather: 70°F.
Average Speed: 14.9
Number of falls: 1
Number of near death experiences: 2

Despite an early start to try and join El Tour de Phoenix this AM -- they denied me. No registration on the day of the ride; the reason -- can't add you to the computer. I am left wondering the usefulness of the computer relative to the ride. And shirtless (meaning no yellow jersey to wear), but 65 dollars richer.

So I rode the route I might have normally ridden, which just happened to be roughly the same as the 26 mile ride. I did however leave quite a bit earlier than they, so I figured I wouldn't see them.

Turns out I was precisely at the intersection of the Bush Hwy and Usery Mountain Rd, when the 75 milers showed up, with three clear leaders in front of a motorcycle and a pack of about 75. Since I didn't feel like waiting for the thousands of riders to clear the trail, I challenged a few folks as I found my way up heartbreak hill (I am the first person to call it thus -- the backside of Usery Pass), that 4 mile slog, in a serious crowd. It was fun and I got a round of applause from the sag crew when getting up after I fell straight over while putting on one pedal. My picture was taken many times by professional looking photographers, so look for my Team Palm™ jersey on the cover of the Sun-Republic (you and I are the only ones who will know I was looking like a pirate). Apparently the Republic does have a story about this guy Steve Bauer (who has worn the yellow jersey). The Republic story fails to mention he is an Olympic medlist:

Retired since 1996, Bauer makes his way to El Tour for the first time at the invitation of tour president Richard DeBernardis. From what he has seen and heard so far, Bauer thinks the race will be "a good participation event."

Although he won't be racing for any records or even the win, Bauer could providea thrill for hundreds of El Tour riders, who will be able to say they rode with one of the world's best cyclists and a former teammate of Armstrong and Greg LeMond.

"To check it out," Bauer said of his motivation for riding in El Tour.


There are some pictures to post in a bit, just as soon as I find the decoder ring. I may even have that Bauer guy in the first frame. I can say I didn't get to ride with him.

Did I mention that I had a great ride -- maybe my personal best. And that now I will be taking a nap with Pearl the Cat.

No comments: