Sunday, April 30, 2006

Red Tailed Hawk


SO I thought I might load up my bike and go out to look for the hawks I have seen hunting along the drainage beside my place. So I grabbed my camera and the hawk taking lens, and then started trying to figure out how to carry it on a bike -- It doesn't fit well into the Timbuktu messenger bag, or the SunLite rack-top bag. Maybe if I had decent sized rack-top bag like the Banjo Brothers one George has that can carry bowling balls. In case your wondering what this picture is, it's a picture of my real digital camera atop my sun-lite rack-top bag on my commuter. The thing weighs as much as some bowling balls and is a much more less graceful shape.

SO I lazily took the car. And I found the nest I had noticed a few days ago.



And it's owner.





My initial thought on this is that it's a red tail hawk. But I currently seem unable to find the stack of guidebooks. Perhaps the Bird Chick will help make an ID. Her blog is fairly cool with serious birder stuff going on. Since her rabbits are indoors and not in my yard eating my cactus -- I guess maybe they are ok.



Her dissaproving rabbits will be happy to see that this hawk appears to be carrying a rat, and not a rabbit or a cat.

All Photos are © 2006 Shawn Kielty. All rights reserved.

Date: 30 April 2006
Miles: 8.0
Average Speed: 14.4
Max: 22.5
April Mileage: 415.21
Weather: 93°F. sun.

6 comments:

Joann said...

Thanks.

shawnkielty said...

There will be more. I want a clear shot of one of them carrying a snake. HA!

Thank you, BTW.

John said...

Man, that's the size of a plane!

The Donut Guy said...

Those are nice pics.

I bet your camera would fit in the racktop bag I have, it's enormus:-)

Jaco said...

Great images. Thanks. But please, no snakes

shawnkielty said...

Thanks everyone!

It's sort of candid -- all the work to pare down the weight of the bike and then add 8.5 lbs of camera. If I remove the hood from the lens, I bet it will go in.